Michael Scaief, Chairman of Texas Regional Bank, is a Valley native. After receiving a B.A. in Economics from the University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Scaief began his banking career in 1987 at First Valley Bank. Over the next ten years, he worked his way up to Senior Vice President, managing lending and operations. Soon after the bank sold to Norwest/Wells Fargo in 1998, Mr. Scaief left to pursue other interest.
In 2008, Mr. Scaief organized a group of Valley businessmen to explore establishing a new regional bank. In May of 2010, they purchased a South Texas bank, changed the name to Texas Regional Bank and began operating. Today, in addition to serving as TRB Chairman, Mr. Scaief also serves as Chairman and President of the bank’s holding company, Texas State Bankshares, Inc.
Michael has been on the boards of numerous community organizations. He is past chairman of the Harlingen Industrial Foundation, the City of San Benito Board of Adjustments and Appeals, and the San Benito Chamber of Commerce. He served as President of the San Benito Rotary Club and Vice-Chairman of the Cameron County Regional Mobility Authority. He has been an Elder and Session Member of the First Presbyterian Church of San Benito.
Michael has a record of service to his community and has served on numerous boards of community-based organizations including:
- Cameron County Regional Mobility Authority – Vice-Chairman
- First Presbyterian Church of San Benito – Elder and Session Member
- Valley Baptist Hospital – Board Member
- San Benito City Board of Adjustments and Appeals – Chairman
- San Benito Rotary Club – President
- Harlingen Industrial Foundation – Chairman
- San Benito Industrial Foundation – Board Member
- San Benito Chamber of Commerce – Board Member and Chairman
- Texas Wildlife Association – Executive Board Member
- Salvation Army – Board Member